Friday, January 19, 2007

The Whales are Calling Me


Here is the collage I did before leaving for Hawaii...this represents my intentions for the trip. My blog is named after this collage.

The start of my magical trip to Hawaii was brought to a culmination as the whales welcomed us into Kealakekua Bay with their high pitched songs. Swimming far out into the bay...the open water...nothing to see except endless blue, but quieting my mind and then listening until the unmistakable sound of these beautiful marine mammals calling to each other and calling to me. I was drawn to swim toward Captain Cooks monument to get closer and closer.

Santa Cruz seems so far away, getting to the airport yesterday in perfect time to step onto the airplane without wait. The ride was smooth and the cotton ball clouds beautifully scattered over the Pacific. We arrived in Honolulu with enough time for lunch and I celebrated with a chocolate covered waffle cone with Kona coffee ice cream. Stepping off the plane in Kona was a warm tropical delight. Then playing with possibilities of getting a convertible...almost, but no cigar.

Our new apartment is incredibly spacious, on the second floor overlooking the tree tops to the bay. We were up with the birds shrieking and cawing. Freshly ripe bananas will be ours just outside the front door. Our gecko friends have started popping out of their hiding places to see the new arrivals.

Now we're off to breakfast...

The breakfast I had was the best ever. I ordered a half papaya bowl with mixed fruit and yogurt with bread pudding on the side. It was yummmmmmmy! I even took a picture of it. We sat high on the hill overlooking the bay where we swam earlier. The hibiscus flowers surrounding the cafe were brilliant colors of magenta centers and yellow bursting pedals.

Later we went to the grocery store and were delighted to find delicious healthy food for our meals. It turns out Meg and I have similar tastes. We came back home and unloaded our stuff and I promptly returned to the water, leaving Meg to relax and take care of some business. I headed for the bay but the wind had kicked up and there were white caps. No one was around so I headed for the Place of Refuge. I found a little spot on the lava where I could dip my toes in the tide pools. Soon I found a friend who told me he had seen some baby eels in there earlier. We started searching for things and he gave me a crab. I said, "Thank you so much, that's what I've always wanted." Later he found one of the eels again and we excitedly chased it around the pool for a few moments. I told him we had heard the whales singing that morning in the bay and he was intrigued. Maybe we'll run into his group again tomorrow morning searching for the whale calls.

I came home to find Meg ready to make a collage and get even clearer on our intention of being here. While we were discussing it the landlord stopped by with a huge bucket of oranges, two papayas, ten avocados, and a bunch of bananas which he had all picked from the property today. It was so incredibly wonderful.

We decided to do a meditation on the porch setting our intention for the collages and calming our minds. Then we started creating. We had fun, talked, passed pictures, listened to music, listened to Abraham, rested, munched on snap peas, and glued. It was all very fun. I was inspired to create two very different collages, one beautifully artistic one and one more concrete with less flare.



We collaborated on dinner and just finished. I'm surprised to find out that Meg is an ant killing machine...she's really quite vicious. And she calls herself a vegan.

No comments: