Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Elusive Dolphins

So yesterday after the big hike I took it easy. I went for a swim down at Hookena Bay, it's another great dolphin sighting bay (supposedly) and there's easy entry and exit. Plus there's an actual beach there. There are more locals and less tourists. I swam out and floated around. Watched some SCUBA divers and had a glimpse of an octopus about 30 feet down. So far. When I got out I ran into Matisha...the dolphin guide who took us out on a boat today. Later I just did some errands and cleaned up the house and had dinner.

Today I picked up Elfriede at 7:45am and we carpooled to the marina. We got to the boat nice and early and stopped by the SCUBA shop to pick up a shorty (wetsuit) for her. My 3mm full length has been working quite well actually, I can stay in the water until I'm tired...but I haven't gotten cold once. Matisha was there in the parking lot when we got back. We all gathered and got on the boat. Going out to the spot we saw many whales. They were leaping and spouting and diving down. It was and has been a great show.


Unfortunately, the best breach I got came out blurry.

We got to the dolphin site and saw lots of dolphins swimming around our boat. I got some good pictures of them too.





We got out of the boat...I was one of the first ones in and we did see a few swimming around...way below us. Then they were off and our captain kept yelling...they're over there, now they're over there...we did a lot of swimming and not a lot of communing with the dolphins. It was fun to just be in deep blue water, nothing to see but the rays of light beeming down. Matisha also can blow these beautiful huge bubble rings and we played with those for a bit. Finally, we got back in the boat, ate lunch and then saw another large pod of dolphins. Only three of us jumped in quickly but it was an amazing moment. Lots of dolphins were all around us coming up from the depths. The photographer estimated there were 80 in the pod. I think I only saw about 15. But I was one of the lucky ones that was ready and willing to jump in again.

I may have a chance to go with them tomorrow...Ester & Jerry Hicks happen to be coming in on a ship tomorrow and some of their participants will be going with Matisha...if there's room on the boat they will take me too. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a better trip.

No comments: