Saturday, January 27, 2007

Magic in the Trees

Last night Meg went to Texas to buy realestate...This morning I hooked up with Elfreide down at the Bay. There were no dolphins so we decided to go on an adventure. We went up to the Pololu Valley in North Kohala.

We walked down a steep switchbacked trail to the end of the valley where the ocean meets the fresh water of the falls above. We immediately decided to strip off our clothes and jump in the ocean...the water is much warmer that in K Bay...it was amazing. But it was rough seas and rocky so we couldn't get in very far. But it was nice to get cooled off after the hot hike down the hill. We ate our snacks on the lava rocks and then walked back into the forest to find the trail leading into the valley. We couldn't find what we were looking for so we ended up cutting along the back parallel to the ocean. We came upon a camp sight with a rope swing with a drift wood seat. We had a fun photo shoot laughing and playing on the swing. Elfreide would make this awesome sound of deep joy during her swings.


After we finished playing we kept going along and then there was another site with three swings...one was a fishing net made into a hammock the other two were drift wood short swings. We played again and laughed and did a little photo shoot...and then moved along.

Then again we found another site with long thick ropes wrapped around several trees to make huge unusual swings. This was so fun. As I sat on the swing looking out to the ocean with the sun on my back I could also see the moon hanging just below the trees. It was an amazing moment. We couldn't believe that there were more and more swings that we would come upon, each different and magical in their own way.


We then found a trail leading up the mountain on the opposite side from where we came. We hiked up to the top where we were even with our car on the other side. We were wishing for a zip line so we could just glide across without having to go all the way down again. On our way back we stopped to have more snackies. Walking on the lower end of the trees we found even more rope swings and hammocks...I loved that people had recycled the old boat lines that had washed up on shore. Popping out of the trees and looking out onto the ocean we could see the garden of stone pilings that people had made.

This place had such an abundance of creative life force where the people were really working with all that place had to offer. I fell in love with it. We started back up and gave an offering to the place with a little blessing.

Heading back through Hawi we stopped at the little stores along the way. Elfriede wanted to go the chrystal shop where they had the chrystal singing bowls. They let me play all of them for a really long time. The resonance of those bowls are like no other. Some kids that were skating outside the shop came in and asked me if it was magic. I said yes, and then let them make their own magic. It was fun to play with the three beautful dark curly haired boys. Later we couldn't resist the pull of the bakery next door and we ate 4 desserts and had some tea. Elfriede says that sugar is good for sore muscles. I'd never heard that before but I decided to agree with her and share the truffle, the raspberry swirl, the Hawi crunch bar, and the sugar cookie. Man was that a sugar high.

Driving back I just wanted to get home as soon as possible. I knew I'd be tired soon. However, and unfortunate wrong turn somewhere landed us a half hour away from Hilo before I realized we were on the wrong side of the island. HILO! Where are we? Damn, we've almost driven to Hilo. Luckily we figured it out, turned around, picked up a Subway sandwich on the way home and just drove straight home. I'm so tired now but I didn't want to get too far behind in my journaling.

I don't think I've even mentioned that we swam with dolphins yesterday for the first time. It was mellow, their were 6...three each swiming together. No jumping. One did break off from it's smaller pod and swam toward me, though didn't get very close.

No comments: